Shortly after we got our 10th gen Civic we realized there was a distinct lack of brake kit options. We set out to put together a brake kit that uses the a range of high quality components which also gives the customer control over their consumable costs and we feel we hit the bullseye with what we put together.
To start, the kit utilizes EBC Apollo 4 piston brake calipers. These calipers are high quality units made in the UK and are offered in two versions, Street and Track. The Street version is better than any OEM brake setup without question and bring a host of upgrades to the table like:
- Hard anodized aluminum pistons to reduce heat transfer to the brake fluid.
- Hard anodized aluminum caliper bodies help to stiffen the body of the caliper and reduce flex under hard use as well as be more corrosion resistant.
- 4 color options (black, red, blue, yellow) that is applied as a high temperature lacquer which won't degrade under high temperatures like powdercoated finishes do on other calipers.
- Stainless steel bleed screws and crossover tubes which won't corrode from time and wear like plated steel parts do.
- Dust boots, while common on many OEM fixed calipers, are not often found in aftermarket braking calipers and help to keep the fluid seals from leaking in very dusty or corrosive environments as well as protect the pistons from corrosion.
- Changing pads only requires the removal of one bolt and they pull out of the top, no messing around with finicky pins like factory style fixed calipers use.
- Tons of pad compound options which gives the customer a wide selection to choose from to give them their desired brake feedback and performance.
The Track version caliper is very similar to the Street version with some small differences. It is only available in a grey hard anodized finish. This finish is impervious to heat, brake fluid and brake clean. It also does not use dust boots since they are not able to withstand prolonged heavy brake heat without degrading. Lastly, the piston material is stainless steel instead of hard anodized aluminum to reduce heat transfer to the brake fluid.
The amazing features don't stop at the caliper though. The rotors used are from a Nissan 350Z and we did this for the following reasons:
- It has both 1 and 2 piece aftermarket options which are both easy to source and respectively not expensive.
- It has a 12mm larger diameter (324mm vs 312mm for Si) and more importantly it is 5mm thicker (30mm vs 25mm). This results in a rotor that has ~25% greater thermal capacity than the stock Si rotor. For customers who want to use their car for track use, this is paramount in keeping brakes from failing or wearing excessively fast.
- The dimensions of this rotor allow for it to be used in conjunction with the factory brake dust shield which protects the rubber boots on the ball joint and tie rod end from brake heat that can cause them to harden and crack.
- The combination of this rotor diameter and the EBC caliper mean there is less than a 2% brake bias change from the factory Si caliper setup. This is very often overlooked by others and is almost never correct with calipers retrofitted from other vehicles (sometimes it's as far off as 20%!), and because it is changed so little, the factory ABS system will still function exactly as it should with minimal changes to brake pedal travel.
But wait, there's more! Our brake caliper mounting brackets are made from billet 7075 aluminum and they're anodized black for corrosion protection and a nice stealth look. Upgraded braided stainless steel brake lines are available but the factory brake lines are compatible with the EBC calipers too. Everything in these kits is made in the USA and UK!
We skipped no corners when we devised our brake kit and after you install it on your Civic you won't have to think twice about your brakes when carving up the corners!
This brake kit is compatible with 8th and 9th gen Civic Si as well, with the exception that 8th or 9th gen brake lines must be used respectively.
NOTE: Due to the large amount of options kits are made on a per order basis so there is normally a 2-3 week lead time on orders.
OUR BRAKE KIT DOES NOT INCLUDE PADS. With how many different pad compounds there are we don't want customers to pay for something they may not use. Please see the links below for pads for our brake kit:
- EBC Greenstuff
- EBC Redstuff
- EBC Yellowstuff
- EBC Bluestuff
- EBC RP-1
- EBC RP-X
- EBC SR-11
- EBC SR-21
- Hawk Peformance Ceramic
- Hawk HPS
- Hawk HPS 5.0
- Hawk HP+
- Hawk DTC-60
- Hawk DTC-70
- Contact us for other options
Compatible braided brake lines can be found below:
Titanium pad shims can be found below: